Friday 24 July 2015

Keep on fighting

I have just walked back (all by myself and in this awful gloomy weather) from the sports centre. I can not make many classes during the school holidays as my daughter will be with me and one of the weeks my sister is home so we are having "a holiday in Pembrokeshire" and I am going to London another week, I will not stop exercising during this time as it is important to keep working at these muscles of mine. I am no expert and I have to write myself a little guide to accompany this chart to remind myself of what each exercise entails. It is important that I have something to follow. I can find a few videos on YouTube and have used parts of various videos but I know I need more work on my left arm and the exercises I do for my leg are to keep it strong rather than improve it although I have no problems if it does improve. :) so I have taken that into account when working out a plan for myself. 
I have included hand exercises (something I must admit that I have neglected as of late) 
This is why It is so important to sit down every few weeks, think of new goals and check where about you are in your achievements. If I used to do hand exercises then my hand wouldn't be able to do much else for the day and as I have  been "trying to live my life as normal as I can", I have found myself using my hand more and more for everyday things but there was a time when I could not exercise and use it. I am only human, I sometimes get it wrong and I had completely forgotten about hand exercises but they are so important as I have had no improvement in the parathesis. I can move it and use it but I can't feel it very well, I get so sick of the constant pins and needles I feel. At first I was relieved to feel it as it is that familiar feeling I have felt all over my body as the sense of feeling to my left side was reappearing but it has been over a year and nothing. Whether it will ever come back fully I do not know but as I am getting that bit stronger in other areas now is the time to fight harder as far as my hand is concerned. 
When I came out of hospital I searched on YouTube for stroke stories and exercises and remember this one lady lifting weights, I thought she was amazing. I could not even grip a weight let alone lift one. At various stages after that, I checked to see if I could do this but it hurt too much and of course there was always the possibility of really hurting my shoulder so I knew I was not strong enough to try. 

About a year after my stroke, I am lifting a small weight above my head and although I can't feel my hand very well, gripping and letting go is not even a slight issue anymore. 
I have even included jog on the spot in my plan. I am not even sure I can call it a jog and I can only do it for a very short time but one day I want to be able to run but this is how far I am right now with regards to running. 

So at this point in time - July 2015, I am enjoying exercising, still fighting and still trying my best to be patient. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment