Thursday 2 April 2015

Stroke complexity

I found this "quote" in a young stroke survivor group that I recently joined online. It made me feel really sad to see. Although I do understand where this comes from, I have since having a stroke tried my best to explain how I feel probably to the point where perhaps some people wish I would shut up but before I had a stroke how could I know how complex it would be so obviously how can other people? Maybe I am surrounded by a rather exceptional bunch of people but I can list on one hand the amount of times I really felt misunderstood or upset because of others. I have been called brave numerous times during my stroke recovery but I think I am surrounded by the brave people. From my family who have been through every difficult moment with me to friends and even friends of the family or friends of friends. Every single person who has ever taken the time out of their own lives to just say "how are you?" You are all amazing. Thank you for realising that although I may not have asked how you are back, it's not that I don't care. I have been busy re-learning just about everything and getting my brain to work again.  I have had a few people not be able to look me in the eye or even ask how I am doing, I remember them as those moments have been so few.  Thank you for not saying "I know how you must feel" because let's face it you can't. The same as even if you have had a stroke too. I don't know how you feel although I have a better idea. Ah that complexity issue again. 
So what is a stroke to me? - complex 

No comments:

Post a Comment